Death Certificate Fee
$15 for each certified copy
View or download the application.
The Office of Vital Statistics is responsible for the recording and issuance of Certified Copies of Death Certificates.
To protect the privacy of sensitive information and to prevent identify theft, the cause of death on a death certificate is not public records. As required by state law, we restrict access to these certificates, but they are readily available to the individuals, family members and guardians or beneficiaries. We require individuals to produce photo identification and/or other documentation before releasing these confidential records or portions of the records.
Florida death records from 2009 to present are available in any Vital Statistics office in Florida. All other Florida death records prior to 2009 must be obtained from the State Vital Statistics office in Jacksonville.
Who can obtain a certified copy of a death certificate?
Without the cause of death listed:
Anyone may request a copy of a death certificate without the cause of death showing on the certificate
With the cause of death listed:
To obtain a copy of a death certificate with the cause of death showing on the certificate, you have to be a member of the immediate family. This includes a spouse, brother or sister, son or daughter, grandparent, grandson or granddaughter; or
Beneficiary of a deceased person’s life insurance policy (must provide documentation); or
Estate administrator (must provide documentation).
A valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license, State ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, passport or military ID.
For mailed or faxed request, please provide readable photocopies.
A completed copy of the Death Certificate Application Form
You will also need to provide the person’s:
Date of death
How soon may I expect a copy?
If your request is mailed, it will be processed within 2 business days from the day it is received from you.
If you come in person, your application will be processed immediately and usually takes about 15 minutes to complete.
- We accept cash, checks, money orders or major credit card (except Discover cards). Do NOT send cash by mail.
- All faxed requests must be paid by credit card (Each faxed request must include a legible copy of the credit card, showing the credit card number and expiration date and also a legible copy of a valid photo ID).
- All requests that wish over-night delivery please include a paid over-night envelope with your request or send additional money to cover the over-night fees.
How to obtain a copy of a death certificate
1. Visit our main office at 1620 Nectarine Street, Fernandina Beach, FL, 32024. We are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday - Friday.
2. Mail a request to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Florida Department of Health in Nassau County
1620 Nectarine Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
3. Fax a request to us at: 904-428-5632
How to obtain a copy of a death certificate if I was not born in the State of Florida?
Other State's Vital Record Information (Birth, Death, Marriage & Divorce) can be found through the Link to National Center for Health Statistics Website